What does an operator do?
As an operator you keep yourself busy and you are specialized in machines. This also means that there are different types of operators, each with their own set of tasks.
Within the field of process technology, a distinction is made between, among other things, process operator, machine operator, or line operator.
Unlike process operators, machine operators are responsible for part of the production process. That does not make the work of a machine operator any less important.
As a Operator you operate the machine(s) so that the production process can run smoothly. As a machine operator you are responsible for:
- Setting up and converting machines
- Ensure a timely and constant supply of items such as raw materials, semi-finished products and packaging materials
- Operate machines during the production process
- Checking machines and the quality of the products
- Signaling and reporting deviations in the production process
- Solving minor malfunctions
- Report major malfunctions to the technical service and/or the manager
- Minor maintenance on the machines
- Ensuring compliance with safety and hygiene guidelines and legislation
While machine operators are responsible for a part of the production process, as a process operator you are responsible for keeping the entire process and the machines running. As a process operator, you are actually the person behind the machine. You can do a large part of your work centrally from computer-controlled systems.
As a process operator, you control the steps in the production process and together man and machine ensure a top quality end product.
Process operators have a number of tasks:
- Check the progress of the production process & intervene where necessary
- Performing checks on machines
- Carrying out minor maintenance (major maintenance by maintenance department)
- Start or stop the production process
In addition, as an operator you often work in a shift system, from operator in 2 shifts to operator in 5 shifts.
Your duties as an Operator are very broad and very diverse.